I love a list.
I came upon this list of lessons learned in 2009 while I was perusing some archive blog posts on one of my favorite sites, CrazySexyLife. It's beautifully, humorously and dead-on-honestly written by Diana Mrazikova.
"1. I can go six weeks without eating sugar.
2. I never want to do that ever again.
3. Saying what you mean and meaning what you say can be scary sometimes.
4. Speaking the truth gets a little easier each time you do it.
5. Traveling is magical, inspiring, and life-changing.
6. Traveling is challenging, confronting, and miserable.
7. It is nearly impossible for me to sleep with someone and not develop intense feelings for him.
8. Unless I’m traveling and leaving the country the following day. Then it’s just plain fun.
9. I can pee perfectly into a cup, while driving (cruise control on a highway), and not spill a drop.
10. Unless I pee so much that the cup gets filled—and I don’t realize it—and the cup runneth over.
11. I could blame the pee-smell in my car on my dogs.
12. I prefer to just tell the truth and laugh about it.
13. Giving my heart to someone who hasn’t earned it is foolish and painful.
14. Being open and vulnerable and jumping in with both feet is laudable. (However, it too may be foolish and painful.)
15. There are few things more terrifying than karaoke.
16. There are few things more liberating than karaoke.
17. A woman’s chemistry can make her crazy.
18. A man’s chemistry can make her fuckin’ batshit.
19. Instincts should never be ignored.
20. Sometimes, it’s hard to tell where your instincts start and your baggage stops.
21. Regret is a waste of time.
22. I struggle with time management.
23. I’m afraid love may not exist the way I want it to.
24. I couldn’t give up on love if I tried.
25. I will likely learn all of this all over again in 2010 (except the pee-spilling thing—lesson learned)."
Naturally I was then inspired to write a list of 25 Things I've learned in the past year myself;
1. I like peas. A lot.
2. I also really like mangoes...but can only eat them in small bites. Weird.
3. It's hard to balance being self-less and selfish (and yes, selfish is sometimes necessary).
4. Your actions always have consequences. Be prepared to own up to them.
5. Not everyone will approve of your choices, but if they feel right for you (and come from a place of kindness-either to yourself or others), then it doesn't matter.
6. Burratta cheese is the coolest cheese on the block.
7. Causing heartache is way worse than experiencing it. That guilt is consuming.
8. You have to forgive yourself for that guilt or you will actually *be* consumed (no good will come from that).
9. Sometimes you just have to move on. One step at a time counts.
10. Music is...everything. I would be empty with out it.
11. I don't actually need much "stuff" to function in daily life. Living lighter feels a.maz.ing.
12. Never bull shit your friends. Frankness and honesty serve them much better in the end than always playing the agreeable role.
13. Living by the sea is a must.
14. "Fun"employment should be a must for everyone at some point in their lives. Working multiple "easy" part-time jobs will make you appreciate so much.
15. Tattoos are, in fact, mildly addicting.
16. Jealousy will rot your insides. Let it go. There is enough for you, too.
17. I might make a bad ass mom someday. We'll see...
18. Old people rock. Enjoy them. Learn from them. Don't be scared to inevitably be one.
19. I'm a bit of an emotional masochist. It's time to knock that shit off.
20. My younger sister probably should have been born first. She is far wiser than me. (sister-how did you get so wise?)
21. Attention, Affection and Appreciation are the roadside assistance tools for relationships.
22. I am worthy of a great love.
23. Someday I will really believe and accept nothing less than said love.
24. Gratitude will open you up to a more fulfilling life.
25. I usually have no idea what I'm doing or talking about. My pants are loose from flying by them so often.
26. Karaoke is my biggest fear.
In list making Gratitude,